NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. — The Northborough Food Pantry is seeking donations to keep up with increased demand in the fall season.
"We rely on donations year round," food pantry co-director Sarah Rothery said. "But demand has been increasing all spring and summer, and summer is a very slow time for donations."
Bringing in fewer donations than expected were two of the food pantry's largest food drives — "Scouting For Food," put on by Boy Scouts and Girls Scouts in November, and "Stamp Out Hunger," run by the post office in May, Rothery said.
The following is a list of the most needed items:
- Hot or cold whole grain cereals.
- Granola bars, whole grain crackers and other healthy snacks.
- Rice and rice mixes in boxes.
- Canned fruit in natural juice.
- Multipacks of single-serving fruit and apple sauce.
- Canned stews and pasta meals.
- Shelf-stable milk, powdered milk and juice boxes
- Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup and salad dressing
- Microwavable shelf-stable meals
- Personal care items, such as toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, lotion and soap
- Soup (all varieties except tomato)
- Canned corn
- Peanut butter and jelly
"We encourage residents to use the pantry and want to reassure folks that our doors will continue to be open on Wednesday mornings and Thursday evenings to families in need," Rothery said.