NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. — The first full week of Algonquin fall sports is underway. Here's a recap of the varsity games from the past week:
- Football (1–0): New head coach Justin McKay has wasted no time getting his team ready for the season, and it showed at their first game against Burncoat on Sept. 7. It didn't matter that they missed a couple of extra point attempts—the Tomahawks scored a touchdown each quarter to shut out the Patriots, 26–0.
- Field Hockey (1–0): The girls made quick work of the Red Raiders in their Sept. 7 game at Fitchburg, winning 4–0. Tori O'Keefe, Maggie Wraight, Taylor Long and Jackie Kimball each scored goals.
- Girls Volleyball (1–0): The Tomahawks beat Hudson, 3–1 in their first game on Sept. 7. Caroline Gerulskis had 9 kills, 8 aces, 2 digs and 1 block for Algonquin. Set scores were: 25–11, 25–16, 23–25 and 27–25.
- Cross-Country (Boys: 0–1; Girls: 0–1): Both the boys and girls teams fell to Nashoba on Sept. 6, losing 39–20 and 40–21, respectively. Algonquin's Greg Palken finished first for the boys with a time of 16:29. Tomahawks Megan Walsh and Kyra Shreeve finished third and fourth for the girls with times of 21:09 and 21:26, respectively.
- Golf (2–0): The golf team won two this week. They beat Quabbin in stroke play on Sept. 5, 234–200, with freshman Connor Henderson winning medalist with a 1-over-par 35. They beat Hudson in match play on Sept. 6, 29–25.
Here's a look at the upcoming varsity games for this week:
Monday, Sept. 10
- Field Hockey vs. Lunenberg (away)—3:30 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball vs. Milford (away)—4:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 11
- Boys Cross Country vs. Fitchburg (home)—3:30 p.m.
- Girls Cross Country vs. Fitchburg (home)—3:30 p.m.
- Golf vs. Fitchburg (away at Oak Hill Country Club)—3:30 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball vs. North Middlesex Regional (home)—4:45 p.m.
- Girls Soccer vs. Groton-Dunstable (home)—5 p.m.
- Boys Soccer vs. Groton-Dunstable (home)—7 p.m.
Wednesday, Sept. 12
- Field Hockey vs. Westborough (away)—3:30 p.m.
- Golf vs. North Middlesex Regional (away at Townsend Ridge Country Club)—3:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 13
- Golf vs. Wachusett (home at Juniper Hills Golf Course)—3:30 p.m.
- Girls Soccer vs. Quabbin Regional (home)—4 p.m.
- Boys Soccer vs. Quabbin Regional (away)—4 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 14
- Field Hockey vs. Nashoba (home)—3:30 p.m.
- Girls Volleyball vs. Marlborough (home)—4:45 p.m.
- Football vs. Wachusetts Regional (home)—7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 15
- Boys Soccer vs. Hudson (away)—7 p.m.