NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. — One of Algonquin's most successful swim seasons in recent memory has come to an end.
"This group of kids is a lot of fun to coach," Coach Jean Fedak said. "Spirit abounded. They inspired one another throughout the season."
After the team won the league meet at Tantasqua Regional High School on February 2 and secured their position as Mid-Wach league champions, several swimmers qualified for the Central South Sectional tournament, held at MIT on February 10-11, and the state tournament, held at Harvard University on February 17-18.
At sectionals, the Algonquin girls placed 14th out of 44 teams with a total score of 50 points. The following girls scored points:
- Junior Sarah Beland placed 24th in the 200 freestyle and 17th in the 500 freestyle, qualifying her for states.
- Junior Claudia Capria placed 19th in the 200 freestyle and 27th in the 100 fly.
- Junior Eleni Bautz placed 21st in the 50 freestyle.
- Senior Emily Jachowicz placed 31st in the 100 fly.
- Senior Co-Captain Cassandra Hostage placed 26th in the 100 fly, qualifying her for states.
- Junior Karen Ficenec placed 34th in the 100 breast stroke.
In addition, the girls' 200 medley relay team placed 14th, the 200 freestyle relay team placed sixth and the 400 freestyle relay team placed ninth. All relays advanced to states.
At the state tournament, the girls placed 25th out of 39 teams, with 22 points. Beland placed 24th in the 500 freestyle, while Hostage placed 28th in the 100 freestyle. Meanwhile, the 200 medley, 200 freestyle and 400 freestyle teams placed 21st, 11th and 12th, respectively.
The Algonquin boys also had a strong finish to the season, breaking eight school records all together. They scored 81 points and placed 12th out of a total of 53 teams at sectionals. The following boys scored points:
- Freshman Drew Beland placed 8th in the 200 IM and 7th in the 500 freestyle.
- Freshman Jon Batista placed 11th in the 200 IM and 12th in the 100 backstroke, setting a school record of 57.45 seconds.
- Senior Mike Ficenec placed 18th in the 200 IM and 20th in the 100 fly.
- Senior Co-Captain Charlie Pim placed 18th in the 200 freestyle and 21st in the 100 freestyle.
- Junior Carl Lindgren placed 16th in the 100 breaststroke and 27th in the 50 freestyle.
In addition, the boys' 200 medley relay team placed 10th, the 200 free relay team placed 9th and the 400 free relay team placed 10th—setting a sectional record of 3:27.37.
At the state tournament, the boys placed 20th out of 41 teams, with a score of 17 points.
Beland placed 9th in the 500 freestyle, setting a school record of 4:52.90. He also placed 17th in the 200 freestyle, setting a record of 1:50.45. Ficenec placed 17th in the 100 butterfly, breaking his own record of 56.70 with a time of 56.50. Pim placed 29th in the 200 freestyle. Batista placed 26th in the 200 IM and 20th in the 100 backstroke.
The 200 medley relay team placed 13th and set a school record of 1.47:03. The 200 free relay placed 17th, as did the 400 free relay.
"The kids just outdid themselves," Fedak said. "The work ethic in the pool was amazing."